The Council of Legal Education The Council came into existence on the 29th day of September 1989, under the provisions of the Council of Legal Education Act 1989 (Act. No. 1 of 1989). The Council of Legal Education had as its primary mandate the establishment of a School of Law in Sierra Leone to be the governing body of that School which in turn was to be exclusively responsible for the organization of courses of professional legal training and the conduct of final examinations for those persons seeking to become members of the legal profession in Sierra Leone.
Its other functions as set out by section 6 of the 1989 Act are as follows:-
1. Appointment of a Board of the Law School, a Director of the Law School, academic and other staff;
2. Conduct or cause to be conducted professional and training courses and examinations;
3. Approve courses of study for prospective legal practitioners;
4. Evaluate courses of study provided by and accord appropriate recognition of legal qualifications obtained in other institutions;
5. Issue a Certificate of Call to the Bar on satisfactory completion of the professional training course.
Location: The Address of both the Council and the School is Special Court Complex
Address: NewEnglandville, Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Email Address: email@example.com
Website Address: www.lawschool.edu.sl
Present Members of The Council of Legal Educaton
1. The Hon. Chief Justice – Desmond Babatunde Edwards - Chairman
2. Anthony Brewah Esq – Attorney General & Minister of Justice
3. Mohamed Lamin Tarawally Esq - Solicitor General & Rep. of Attorney And Minister of Justice
4. The Hon. Justice Alusine Sesay -Justice of the Supreme Court
5. Hon. Prof. H. M. Joko-Smart - Member
6. Prof. Foday Sahr - Vice Chancellor of University of Sierra Leone
7. Dr. Dante Bendu – Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences & Law(F.B.C)
8. Pastor Sahr Foday - Rep. Ministry of Education
9. Mr. Leslie Thomas -Rep. Employers Federation
10. Mrs. Tuma Adama Gento-Kamara- Rep. Bar Association
11. Floyd Davies Esq.- Rep. Bar Association
12. Daniel J. Lavally Esq- Registrar/Secretary